Links and info to check out for 'helpful' Vegan informationOver the last 4 years I have been on a quest to seek and find as much 'useful' information I can about Veganism/compassion and animal rights.
If you google 'Vegan' you will literally be undated with thousands of links on the subject - both good and bad.
To save you some time surfing the internet, below is a list of just 'some' of the resources I have 'personally' found useful since transitioning to a Vegan Lifestyle....I hope some of these will also be useful for you!
My absolute favourite Podcast has to be 'Food for Thought' by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau (picture above). Colleen has a masters in English literature and is thus an eloquent and acclaimed public speaker as well as an award winning author of 6 Vegan books. Her weekly podcasts cover a wide range of subjects including; Compassionate fashion, Advocating for animals and a brief history of 2,500 years of Veganism. What I particuarly love about Colleen is her focus on Compassion and Joyful veganism! She also understands that there is no such thing as the 'Perfect Vegan' and has practical tips/advice for overcoming the growing number of 'vegan police' whose focus sometimes borders on the fanatical rather than the compassionate. You can follow Food for Thought on her website - http://www.joyfulvegan.com/listen or subscribe via ITunes/Stitcher or SoundCloud.
Animal Rights Books
So the list of great Animal Rights books out there is pretty awesome and thankfully growing 'everyday' so here are just five of my favourites:-
- Animal Liberation - Peter Singer (but anything by Peter is great:)
- Thanking the Monkey - Karen Dawn
- Eating animals -Jonathan safran foer
- Why we love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows - Melanie Joy Ph.D. and John Robbins
- Pig who sang to the moon -Jeffrey moussaieff Masson
More and more films/documentaries focused on Animal rights and Veganism emerge every year. Most of these are funded independently and take years to produce against massive political lobbying against them. We should be thankful to all these 'brave' film makers for putting themselves out there and ensuring the voices of the 'voiceless' are heard. Again, these are just a few of my faves:-
- Earthlings - A film by Nation Earth - www.Earthlings.com
- Speciesism: The Movie - www.speciesismthemovie.com
- The Ghosts in our Machine - www.theghostsinourmachine.com
- The Cove - www.thecovemovie.com
- Blackfish - http://blackfishmovie.com
- Food.Inc - www.foodincmovie.co.uk
- Forks over Knives - www.forksoverknives.com
Vegan Books on Cooking and Nutrition
Whether or not you also believe that 'Vegan is the new Black,' you can't deny that yet 'Another' vegan cook book/nutrition book is published almost weekly these days. On Amazon.co.uk alone there are over 6,800 Vegan and Vegetarian books available....That's a heck of a lot of reading! Again I've listed a few of my 'Go To...' cookbooks and nutrition guides I have used over the years. I should caveat that I also have an nutrionist who guides me with my Vegan diet, something incredibly beneficial when you are first making the switch to a 100% Vegan diet -'Stephanie R you are a Rock Star!'
- One Dish Vegan - Robin Robertson
- The Vegan Table - Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
- Skinny Bitch Ultimate everyday cookbook - Kim Barnouin
- The Oh She Glows cookbook - Angela Liddon
- Veganomicon - Isa Chandra Moskowitz (Actually anything by Isa is great!)
- Mouthwatering Vegan - Miriam Sorrell
- Great Gluten-Free Vegan eats - Allyson Kramer
- Vegan for Her - Virginia Messina (nutrition)
- Vegan for Life - Jack Norris/Virginia Messina (nutrition)
- Forks over Knives - Gene Stone (nutrition)
Last but absolutely not least, some useful websites to check out -
www.cok.net (Compassion over Killing)
And Luxembourg specific......
www.vsl.lu (Vegan Society Luxembourg)
www.ar-conference.com (see banner above.) I will be reviewing the IARC in one of my next blogs.
Please let me know if you have any other recommendations/suggestions:)